Wednesday, October 22, 2008

World Series Game 1 today...Phillies already in a hole?



I have been anxiously awaiting the start of this World Series, so I have been reading to pass some time and I have run across some interesting articles.

• In the 25 years of the two-round division-play era, there were only five World Series in which at least one team had five or more days off before the Series started -- and only two in which one team had four more days off than its opponent.

• But in the 14 postseasons since the expansion to three rounds, we've already had EIGHT years (including this one) in which at least one team had to wait around for at least five days for the World Series to begin.

• And now, for the first time ever, we've seen three straight years in which one of these World Series teams had a full week between games. The Phillies can only hope that's not as dangerous a development for them as it was for the 2006 Tigers and 2007 Rockies.

"When you go through the season and you're playing every single day, you can get two days off and, to me, it feels like a week," Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard said. "So now you get seven days off. That's like a month."

I'm a stats guy and that one really scares me. We are going into this game with 7 days rest! If Hamels can come out a pitch like a beast I think that can set the tone for the game, trounce this stat and shut the mouths of the naysayers. Oh yeah!...and the top of the order score us some points! According to the stats we really REALLY need an ace of game from Hamels. There is a lot of pressure on our boys, but I have faith and think this won't be a hard burden to beat down.

Dad, Mary, possibly Jim and I are in the works of planning our trip to Philly for game 3 on Saturday. Tickets ain't cheap but what a great memory to have for the rest of my life! More to come!

GO PHILLIES!!!!

No comments: