Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hiking to the AT

After work Brian and I headed off to the Smokies for a hike. We hiked from the Cosby campground (started around 6:45) up to the point were the trail crosses the Appalachian trail. From there we hiked up to the leanto to set up camp. It was dark by the time we hit the AT but that didn't stop us. We made it by about 9, started a fire and chilled. We through out the sleeping bags under the stars and passed out.

We awoke to a beautiful setting sun (my first officially part time day off) and 2 English chaps making breakfast. We chatted with them for a while. They were hiking the full AT, 2,000 miles from Georgia to Maine! It was for charity and sounded awesome! We then filter some stream water for the trip back down and set off.

I worked up a nice blister on my left foot of the way up and worked out a few more on the way down. Once back in the truck we had completed around 7.4 miles and we bushed. We arrived home, showered, had lunch with Mary and headed to Travis's to work. We worked until about 6 and headed back to my place to gear up for 8 o'clock softball practice!

We took the field and I ended up playing second base and Brian at catcher. The coach (Jinx) didn't make the practice but I noticed our 3rd base coach had a sheet with all the possible position for everyone. I guess it was fate cause Jinx had me down at 2nd. Our first game is next Thursday and I can't wait!

No comments: