Thursday, April 2, 2009

Food Allergies?!?!

Last night, in an attempt to eat healthy, I started up the grill and tossed a small piece of salmon on it. Started up the green beans on the oven as well. Well the grill needs some work (already?!). The gas nozzle holes split and its forcing all the gas to exit at the point of entry, which is in the back. All 4 are doing this, so there is a huge flame at the back of the grill on each rail. Well the salmon was taken forever to cook and I kept sliding it to the back getting as close to flames as I could. Well the green beans finished and I started dipping into those while waiting on the salmon. I'm guessing I left them on the oven to long. They had a very strange texture, like rubber. They were hard to eat. Finally I just took the salmon of the grill and sat down it eat.

Little side note: Last time I made salmon, I used seasoning that I had used before no problem, and it killed my heart burn/acid reflux. Like so bad I thought I was going to be sick, I had to pace in the condo to make it feel just a little better. I also experienced this horribleness after eating O'Charleys salmon. I had also eaten it many times before with no problems.

Well, needless to say, last night I skipped the seasoning.

So I got my plates, my glass of water and sat down in the floor at the coffee table to enjoy and watch the second half of the US world cup qualifier, in Nashville I may add. (They won 3-0 on a hat trick from Jozy Altidore, whom is only 19!) I couldn't make it through all the green beans and I eat about 3/4s of the salmon. As I was seating in the floor enjoying the game for some reason I strated running my tongue across the inside of my upper lip. I felt to little bumps. I thought, "What the...?" I kept feeling it and they kept getting bigger. By the time I realized what was going on I could feel my throat getting a little tighter. I drink a whole glass of water then went in the bathroom to look at my lip. Whoa! I looked like someone punched me in the face, my upper lip was all puffy and swollen. Ok, this is a little scary. I called Mary to ask her pharmacist what I should do. The throat tighting was starting to worry me, "Should I call my parents to take me to the ER, what about Jason? He is close." Mary's pharmacist told me to take 2 benadryls, drink water and don't go to sleep. As I sat back down the heart burn/acid reflux started to hit me. "Are you kidding me?" It was the horrible, have to pace to be comfortable kind. Well, while dealing with that at least my throat never got any worse and my lip quit swelling. Once the heart burn stopped my thorat was back to normal. My lip started to get better but wasn't back to normal until this morning.
Besides how the salmon was prepared (don't see how it could be so different from the last few I have bought from Krogers). The only think I can possibly think of is either the last time the grill was used something somehow transfered to the salmon (James cooked on it last time we were out of town and used a seasoning I have never used or tried before) or my body has decided to bail on the whole eating salmon idea.

Welp, I'm pretty sure that the salmon chapter in my life is now closed! It will be a long long time before I eat it again. The thought of going through that just sends chills, I'll pass.

No comments: