Friday, April 3, 2009

Visited Paul and Carolyn last night

Mary and I took girl dog up to meet Paul, Carolyn and Rio last night. Well they actually agree to take her for a few days and see how her and Rio got along. Last time while there she showed how attached to Mary she is. She was always trying to get into her lap. She settled down a bit later in the night and she was very good while we were eating dinner. Carolyn was nice enough to cook dinner for us and made it something on the healthy side since I'm back on a stricter diet (weighed right at 200.0 before going over to their house!). Rio and her didn't hate each other, in fact they seemed to not even care one another was there. Girl dog eventually warmed up to Carolyn and sat with her on the couch. Paul and Carolyn both were holding her later in the night right before we left and she seemed right at home. Hopefully she does good and they decided to keep her!

I took my Glock over to show Paul (I had no idea in was SO into guns until recently...well until I got into them :) ). He really liked it and laughed at the 33 round clip, like most do. Well he showed me his collect. He keeps 2 Smith & Wessons in the night stands (1 is Carolyn's). After showing those he took me down to see what he had in the safe! WOW!...what a collection! He showed me a few handguns first, then....he pulled out the M1 carbine! Beautiful gun!
The standard US military fireman used during World War II and the Korean War. This one was an original US military issued M1 used in one or the another or both wars (can't remember what he told me). Still had the original sling with 2 mag pouch on the stock. It was in GREAT condition, the wood looked brand new. Then he shocks me, "Come on let's go shoot it!" I was very surprised, as we walk he tells me its his favorite gun and shoots it all the time. To me it looked like a safe baby. We walk out onto the porch, he drops it to his hip and fires away...5 rounds straight into the wood right there from the porch. Then he handed it to me. I shot it several times using the sites and a few times from the hip. It was a great experience! I couldn't help but think what that gun had seen and where it had been.

After shooting the M1 he showed me the rest of the collection which included: several beautiful Colt and Smith & Wesson revolvers, a $2700 Benelli shotgun, several other rifles, the Dirty Harry .44 Magnum and even a little revolver that was stamped with the year 1887 on the barrel that my grandmother gave him.

Well we had a great night with them and are hoping and praying that girl dog works out for them. Now Mary will want to go visit all the time and Pual and I can shoot!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUNT SARAH!!! :)

No comments: