Thursday, January 29, 2009

Hairspray The Broadway Musical

Yup you read right, Hairspray the musical. Mary, Joey and I went to see it last night at the Tennessee theater. Mary's dad has season tickets but since he has moved to Ohio wasn't able to go. Mary's mom had other obligations so that left a sit open. Not REALLY wanting to go I told Mary if she wanted me to I would.

I haven't been to the Tennessee theater since before its restoration. It is quite the place. It looks old and classic but it has a new refreshed, clean feel. Nothing is understated and nothing went untouched. Inside the theater is just nuts. Its got enough designs, patterns and colors to make any theater historian's head explode.

Our seats were close, I was impressed. About 15-20 seconds into the production I would it was going to be good. Not sure what I was expecting but holy cow! They spared no expense. The set designs were intense and I couldn't help think, "I can't believe they travel with all this stuff!" Towards the end there is a scene in which the mother (played by a man) and father have a song together. Slightly before the end of there routine when they are looking one another in the eye they started laughing. It was at a cut in the song and the audience applauded. They picked up again and with the father spinning the mother up against him they busted out again with laughter and the audience followed. They try to start up again but cracked up along with the audience. We gave them one big round of applause once more and they finished off the song. It had us all cracking up!

Not sure what I was thinking expecting not to enjoy this but it was a blast! Glad I got to see it.

No comments: