Thursday, March 26, 2009

My new addiction, AR-15s

(Custom AR15 built by a forum member)

Well about 3 weeks ago I purchased my first gun (Glock 19) and as I was at the counter a beautiful AR hung on the wall right in front of me. At the time I didn't think much about it (besides its beauty and how I'd never have one), but man, since it has hit me like a ton of bricks. I get online and find this whole awesome AR community. Well, I LOVE shooting my Glock but I can't help to think how awesome it would be to have my own real AR15. Upon further research I discover the possibility of building my own. What better learning experience could there be?! Like all AR new comers I have been overwhelmed with info and options. So I started posting on the forums asking questions and reading reading reading. Of all the random forums I belong too the ar15armory.com has to be one of the nicest friendliest forums I have been a part of. All my
rookie questions are answered, recommendation are give and invites to ask more don't stop.
They all say building is a fun semi simple job, and the kit I want (Del-Ton) is a great kit. The thing is with an AR-15, you can buy everything for the gun, right down to ammo online, but the lower receiver (pircture to the left) is more difficult to obtain. If you can find one in stock you have to have it shipped to a FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer and have the dealer fax a signed copy of their licence to the seller.

Well since the election gun sells are through the roof, espesically Ar-15 related items. Obama is a great gun sells men! But all politics aside (I could care less) I'm not wanting an AR because of those elected just a victim of circumstance, unfortuately. The wait on the Del-Ton AR kit (any AR kit) is over 3 months. I'm not to concerened with the wait, I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and get in line or wait it out. The only problem with waiting to order is that what if those crazy politicians put a ban on assault rifles or high capacity mags? So I'm thinking I'll put in the order (3 months from now has it arriving around our wedding date!) and wait it out. If something comes up, I talk myself out of it or I plan just plain decide it's not for me I can cancel the order. Plus it will give me time to take the carry course and learn more.

This weekend I plan to go to the Maryville Gun show and purchase a lower receiver and skip the hassle of ordering online.

I also found this little guy too.
It's a .22LR conversion kit for AR-15, meaning you can shoot cheapo .22s instead of bank breaker .233s. The bullets have the same diameter so barrel wear shouldn't be an issue.

Well, back to thinking and wondering if I should pull the trigger or not.

No comments: