Thursday, June 18, 2009

Flooded!

Today it rain like crazy for about a hour in the middle of the day.

I got home and started my workout (which I shouldn't of been doing) when I needed to go grab a stool. Walked into the closet on Mary's side to grab it. For some reason I decided that day to workout without shoes on. As I was looking for the stool I stepped on soaking wet carpet! I soon realized that the carpet closest to the wall all the way across was wet and reached about 2 feet into the room.
Everything was soaked so I started moving everything. I ran down to Jason's to grab my shop vac and on the way stopped and talked to the HOA president. I started vacuuming and Mary got home and started helping. Gloria (the HOA president) came over to take some pictures and said she would ask the other HOA members and get back with us. We called Worley builders in search for some answers and surprisingly they agreed to stop by Friday to take a look. We ran over to my parents to grab some fans. We left the fans on it for the night and all the next day. The guy from Worley stopped by at 3:45 on Friday and we discussed. He thinks that it rain so hard so fast that the drains couldn't handle it and the wet just built backed up. You can see in the image below that grass is 3 sliding strips up which is possibly revealing how high the water was actually standing. He also said that he hear it rained 6 inches in an hour and that house in Knoxville are built to handle 2 inches in 30 minutes! So he took some pics and said he'd think on it and let us know his thougts on Monday.


We have never seen our porch this dirty after a rain. So we are thinking it was a pretty fluke thing but we probably need to do something to prevent it in the future.

No comments: