Sunday, June 7, 2009

Shot an AR-15 for the first time!

Michael and I had plans to go shoot after the lake at Byrds house. We usually hook up with one of Michael's friends parents, the Householders, at party cove for a little while and hang out. Well we got to talking about shooting and guns. Michael mentioned that Mr. Householder was a big gun nut and I just asked what he had. He replied with, "What do you like?" I laughed and said, "How about an AR-15?" He replied, "Got 2." So I asked a ton of questions and Michael chimed in and asked him to come shoot with us. He said he may. We talked a bit more then headed in. We got to Byrd's and started shooting. At the time I forgot all about him possibly coming over. Well he showed up with a large bag over his shoulder. I joking ask, "What ya got there?" "I'll show ya," he said. He pulled out an AR made of an Olympic Arms lower and DPMS upper. It was also surprisingly equipped with an EOTech sight. He handed it to me and told me how to turn the EOTech on. I was in heaven. He then said, "let's shot it!" We walked to within about 50 yards or so of some barrels with a powerade bottle and an old propane tank on top of them. He put the clip in and I pulled the slide back. Ready....aim...fire!! Nothing...oops. It didn't chamber a round. Pulled the slide again and round chambered. I aimed and shot my first .223! It was getting dark so it was difficult to line up the EOTech holograph with the front sight. After about 5 shots I asked where to put the EOTech dot in relation to the front sight. His reply, "Disregarded the front sight and use the EOTech dot only." I was surprised and took aim again. Hit the powerade bottle next I hit the propane tank and sparks were flying. My last shot hit the top of the tank and sent it flying. Since my AR addiction I have said the EOTech was crazy expensive and I wouldn't need one. Oh man! I do now! You can be super accurate very fast with that thing, it's just crazy. I thanked him about 10,000 times and he said we'll them both out next time when we have some more light!

Now I'm even that much more excited about getting mine!

Now back to nursing this sun burn...

No comments: